Last Friday we got together with some of our church friends and decorated Christmas cookies. I headed this up this year and it turned out really good. It was our first year to do this so we didn't have all of the kids but we had a great group.
We decorated the cookies and then packaged them up to be handed out to the widows and shut-ins in our congregation. Everyone enjoyed the cookies.
We also did a Santa scavenger hunt where we hid some of Santa's things he needs for Christmas Eve. Like his hat, the key to his sleigh, his pocket watch, his white glove, etc. They all seemed to enjoy that. We also had some finger foods and The Night Before Christmas was read.
I wasn't sure how Jonah would do on the decorating part but he loved it. My Mom helped him while I was prepping things. He loved placing the green and red M&M's on the cookies. He probably helped decorate around 15 cookies. Pretty good for a 2 year old.
Here are some pictures from the party.
Jonah was cheesing. All the kids that helped decorate.
Jonah cheesing again and Nana...ready to get started.
The littlest decorator, Lily-Kate.
Some deep concentration for decorating.
Emma was working on her masterpiece.
Jonah and his buddy, Neely, exchanged their gifts. Jonah got new pajamas, a magnet for his artwork and a puppy. He loved it all.
We gave Neely a bag with her name on it, some coloring books and a crayon roll.
Praying for the families, teachers and community in Newtown, CT. Heaven has gained such beautiful angels. I pray for those left behind in this fallen world. May they one day see their children again.
We went to the mall on Saturday evening to go see Santa Claus. Last year we just picked a bad time and day to go see him and Jonah did not want to have anything to do with him (he was 1.5 too). Santa wasn't at his chair when we got there so we grabbed some supper, which probably worked out better anyways (hungry child = not happy). So then when we came back the line was pretty long. I stood in line while Jonah and Michael walked around (Jonah in the stroller) and took in the sights of the lovely, busy mall. LOL
We finally made it to the front of the line and Jonah was raring to go see Santa. Once they let us in he wanted me to pick him up. I did but then set him in Santa's lap and stepped back and NO TEARS! He was happy to sit and smile for the camera. Santa asked him some things that he wanted for Christmas and he said yes to them all. LOL. Santa said "He wants it all!" LOL
We had a really good Santa with a real beard and his outfit was great. Just take a look at the evidence!
You gotta love a random brain-dump every now and then.
1. I keep seeing where all my local facebook friend's kids are dropping like flies with either the flu or stomach bug. I am sooo worried/anxious/nervous that we will be next. We have just a couple of parties with kids and I'm so afraid Jonah is going to be the next victim. I just really do not want a repeat of last Christmas where we all got sick on and the day after Christmas.
2. I am done with my Christmas shopping!!! All are wrapped except what has not come in the mail yet.
3. I feel much more "on the ball" with Christmas stuff than I ever have in past years. I think it's because I started shopping in October. I got my cards out on time and the tree up early. I feel much more relaxed and ready for the season this year. I am excited for the fun stuff now like going to see Santa and riding around to look at lights.
4. Whatever teething or moodiness Jonah had last week is all but gone this week. Sure he is still a 2 year old but his mood is much better. I hope it stays that way through Christmas. Also, his appetite is finally back.
5. I have 72 sugar cookies to bake today for our church's cookie decorating party tomorrow night. I hope it goes pretty smooth for us and we have a good turn out. We are decorating cookies to take to our shut-ins and widows. I am so excited and hope to get some pictures too.
6. I am in love with this Christmas CD. I haven't bought it yet but I've been listening to it all on YouTube. My favorite song is You're Here. Check it out. Francesca's voice is amazing!
7. I made these for Jonah's little library Christmas party today. I hope they like them. I don't know what I did before Pinterest.
8. I will be 30 in like 3 and half months. This is blowing my mind. That is all.
9. I made these for our annual Christmas cookie exchange and ornament swap. They turned out really good and were actually the first cookies I had ever made from scratch. The best tip was to mix them up and roll into logs and then refrigerate overnight. Then I just cut them and baked them.
10. I am so thankful that God sent His Son down to earth...but I am even more thankful for His Son's death, which saves me from my sins and washes me in grace each and every day. I hope you have a blessed Christmas season!
Whew! What a busy and fun weekend we just had. Friday night was my Christmas party for work and it was held in a high-rise in downtown Nashville. Honestly I had been dreading it because I knew traffic would be awful. The downtown Christmas parade and a 5K were also taking place and several roads were to be closed. Thankfully we made it on time and had a great time. We even got to watch the fireworks display from where we were and had the best seats! Jonah spent the night with my parents and they took him to our Church's annual Christmas breakfast the next morning. I hated that we missed that but Michael and I got some of our last-minute Christmas shopping done for each other on Saturday morning. Then we caught the mid-day screening of Breaking Dawn Part 2. We just recently finished watching all the movies so we were anxious to wrap it up. And no I did not read the books. I don't intend to either. I just like the movies....very entertaining and totally no reality to them.
Yesterday (Sunday) we went to church and then I came home and baked 40 cookies and made a 7-layer salad for our annual Christmas cookie/ornament & tea towel exchange at Church. We had a wonderful time and had lots of good food to eat. There were 35 gifts in all! We play dirty Santa at this one and it's always a fun time. I also got a lot of good cookies. Too bad I didn't get to taste many of them. I came out from putting Jonah to bed to find Michael chowing down on them and he had already demolished half the plate! He felt bad after. He thought I told him where they were so he could "take care of them." LOL Oh well it's probably best I didn't have them around anyways. :)
I cannot believe how close we are to Christmas! Time is just flying by. I am excited about the kids Christmas cookie-decorating party I am working on for this Friday and then the countdown will be on! We are doing most of our visiting Christmas events on Saturday the 22nd due to everyone's work schedules. So Christmas Day is looking nice and relaxing for us. :)
I have been meaning to post some pictures of our tree all decorated.
This ornament was give to us by my parents for our first Christmas as a new family. (2010)
First Christmas in our new house. (2008)
First Christmas married. (2004)
Jonah's 1st Christmas (2010).
Ornament I won (dirty Santa style) at our annual Fall shopping trip in the mountains. It had everyone's name on it. (2009)
A little church ornament Mom gave me one year that I just love.
Our tree again. I love our tree even though it takes up most of the room. :)