Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekend Wrap-up {Potty-training, Flea-marketing & Preaching}

We had a great weekend but it was a wet and wild one! Sorry this post is a little long.

First off, our little TN county has received a ton of rain over the last couple of days and there are a lot of people near the creeks that are flooded out of their homes. Thankfully we live way up on a hill and it was not an issue for us but we have lots of folks that are having to clean up after all this rain.

A couple of quick notes on potty-training too. Jonah has done so well and we are really proud of him. I knew a couple of weeks ago that it was time to start training when he came to me in the bathroom (while I was using it) and was standing there with his diaper on telling me he was he also stood right beside his little potty-chair. If he knew he was peeing and he knew he had the diaper on then he was ready, in my mind, to learn to put his pee pee in the potty. He had already been peeing in the potty a couple times a day but it was always before nap at his Nana's and before bath at our house. So we already knew he could do it....we just had to get rid of the diaper safety net.

So last Monday we started. I got him up and sat him on his potty first thing that morning (he had a dry diaper from the night on) and he put it all in the potty! So we put on our big boy underwear and headed to Nana's. I have to give my Mom most of the credit for the training because we had discussed strategy the week before and she was ready to go on Monday. She had a sticker potty chart in the bathroom all ready for him when we got there. He had several accidents the first couple of days and he did not make it to the potty when he went #2. Mom unfortunately got to deal with all those while I was working. He did not have any major accidents at home with us. By the third day he didn't really have to "go" each time we took him (which was about every 15-20 minutes). On Thursday his little schedule was mildly interrupted because he stayed at my Granny's (his great-Granny's) that day because my Mom had some appointments. That was his first accident-free day and his first day to really hold his bladder for long periods of time. He did not go #2 that day though. :( By Thursday, I have to note, he wasn't a fan of having to stop what he was doing to go to the potty and pitched pretty big fits about having to. He still had not made the connection of telling someone when he needed to go and how much he would feel better after he went. We were not really sure how to make it over this hurdle at the time but we pressed on.

I also need to note that we have chosen to still put a diaper on him at nap and nighttime. I think that is pretty normal but not sure. He does understand that he only gets a diaper those two times of the day. So our next challenge after not having any more pee pee accidents was to go #2 in the potty. Well....he actually did not go #2 AT ALL from Thursday through Saturday evening!! Which was NOT normal for our once-a-day regular little boy. So we were a bit worried about that. His belly was really hurting him by Saturday night and we just decided that since we tried several times to get him to go on the potty #2 that we would put the diaper on for a while and encouraged him to just go in it! It finally worked and bless his little heart...he was backed up. But we started fresh on Sunday morning and he wore his big boy underwear to church that morning and did great and after church we came home, ate and started playing outside. I kept telling him to let Mommy know if he had to go poopy and we would run to the potty. Well HE FINALLY TOLD ME! We rushed inside and got it all in the potty! There was a lot of celebrating after that one and we called Nana and Papaw and told them too. That was the the final turning point for him I think. I am just hoping that this week will just continue to get better and not have any major accidents. I am really hoping we will be in the clear by the end of this week (that will be 2 weeks in). enough about all that. LOL

We bravely ventured out on Saturday (it rained the whole day) to a new, large, indoor flea-market in the next town over from us. I have been wanting to find a shabby chic style dresser for Haley's nursery that was already painted and done but that didn't cost a thousand dollars. LOL I was really hoping I'd find one at this flea market because I had been following them on Facebook and seen that they had some really awesome booths and lots of people were selling painted furniture. My Mom (Nana) came along with us and helped me so much by keeping an eye on Jonah while I shopped the booths. Surprisingly there were not a ton of dressers for sale but of the ones they had, I found the perfect one for her nursery and it was a decent price. My budget was no more than $200 but I really wanted to stay under that. Well this one (see below) was priced at $150 and was already painted and very nicely waxed with Annie Sloan chalk paint, all the drawers were in good shape, worked and had the handles. Also the drawers are dove-tailed so I knew it was a solid piece. I offered $125 and we ended up settling at $135. I feel like I got a pretty good deal and I had a little cash left to buy Haley a cute little stuffed owl and a tiny white tea pot. I am loving the shabby chic look so I will have to go back and look for more stuff at that place later.

Finally, Sunday night was capped off by listening to my handsome hubby preach the evening service at our church. Our minister has been away on a mission in the Ukraine and asked Michael to fill in one evening since he has done it a time or two in the past. He did a great job and everyone was really proud of him. It's not something he just loves doing but he doesn't mind filling in when needed. He really loves to teach the adult class and is really great at that too.

I hope everyone had a nice relaxing weekend!

post signature


  1. How neat that your husband got to fill in for the preacher! And thanks for your comments on my blog today. I am definitely taking your advice to heart and I will keep you updated. :)

  2. Sounds like you are doing great with the potty training. Keep up the good work. Love the dresser! I think you got a great deal!! Hope you are feeling good and thanks for praying for my dad. That means a lot!
    Btw, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Wahoo! You've done such a good job with your blog that I thought I'd pass the award on to you! Check out my blog to see what it is all about! :)


I love comments!